Welcome to the Elemental Fiberworks Research Lab!
Join me as a Lab Partner and get ready for three months of packages filled with geeky yarn! (If you're looking for the fiber option, that's right here.)
For all of 2018, the Research Lab will be exploring the contributions of women in STEM fields, drawing colorway inspiration from posters in the Beyond Curie collection, designed by Amanda Phingbodhipakkiya. Yarn colorways will be a mix of semisolid/tonals and hand painted or dip-dyed skeins (like the Nebula colorways), possibly with some speckles involved on occasion.
3 months of yarn and domestic USA first-class shipping is included in the yarn membership price. International orders welcome with an additional $25 shipping charge that will be invoiced separately.
NEW for March: Electron Sock and Meson DK base options! If you don't want the sparkle but want a fingering weight superwash merino/nylon blend, Electron sock is the same base yarn as Star Stuff Sock but without the stellina. Looking for something a little heavier? Try out the extra-large 115 gram skeins of Meson DK, an extra fine superwash merino that should be fun to craft with.
Star Stuff Sock:
- 2-ply bouncy fingering/sock weight
- 75% Superwash Merino/20% Nylon/5% Stellina sparkle
- 438 yards/100 grams
- 2-ply fingering/sock weight
- 80% Superwash Merino/20% Nylon
- 400 yards/100 grams
- 4-ply DK weight
- 100% fine superwash Merino
- 250 yards/115 grams
How the Research Lab works...
- A one-time payment covers three months of fiber or yarn plus shipping costs.
- You can join the Lab at ANY time as long as there are spots left! The cutoff day to join and get that month's colorway shipment is the 10th of the month.
- Packages will ship as near as possible to the 20th of each month.
- Other items ordered within a week of the club ship date will ship free with your club package!
- You'll get a renewal email after your third month ships with directions on how to renew if you want to stay a Lab Partner.
- Research Lab Partners may occasionally get additional perks such as coupon codes, ability to purchase any extra monthly colorway braids/skeins at a discount, and other geeky tidbits-- that's on top of free shipping for anything you order to ship with your club package, international shipments included!
From the Beyond Curie About page...
Despite all the progress that has been made, science, math, and engineering are still too often biased against women. Each one of the lady bosses featured in Beyond Curie has surmounted incredible odds and faced down countless challenges for decades in the pursuit of knowledge, understanding, and impact. We owe them our respect.
If you fall in love with these posters, you can purchase prints of your favorite badass women on the Beyond Curie website! I will be putting together a bit of history and information on each month's colorway inspiration to include with each package, and other treats may also slip in on occasion.
While there are a whopping 35 Beyond Curie posters to work from, after 2018 the Research Lab may switch focus for a while. The Lab is intended to be a structure within which I can be inspired, experiment, and keep things fun and geeky! Each year that the Lab runs may hold something different.
The number of yarn and fiber memberships is carefully moderated to make sure I can sustainably dye both yarn and fiber versions of the Research Lab colors. Whether or not more memberships are added in the future will depend on demand and on how efficiently I can manage and increase my dye productivity!